April 26, 2017

The silence is deafening Gill Lice

The silence is deafening. No one is talking about gill lice anymore. It is because the brook trout population has been decimated and the powers to be have given up.  They are afraid to make waves at the DNR because anything science related could cause them to lose their jobs.


I have heard that it is not as bad as believed.  I have four streams I use to fish and catch over 60 in a morning that I am lucky to catch 2-10 now.

http://www.dailyclimate.org/tdc-newsroom/2014/11/gill-lice

I have heard that it is a cyclical thing.  You see the brush at every bridge you go in at these days and the DNR sign about invasive species?  There should be a white flag of surrender attached also. 

4 comments:

  1. I don't know much about gill lice. Is there a remedy for a watershed other than removing the infected fish?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. fish can be dunked in solution but can be re-infected almost instantly.

      Delete
  2. That first fish looks beautifully familiar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. first fish caught by Dan Boggs and second caught by Aaron Wachtendonk. My log books tell me my recollection is true.

      Delete