July 27, 2016

Sharing An Email "Monster Trout With A Mouse"

Len - 
I recently read your article "night time is the right time for big trout" from 2012 (internet search).  I recently - within the last two years - started fishing SW WI in the usual areas - on the West Fork and surrounding streams.  I want to catch bigger browns and I think night time fishing is the key.  I was wondering if you could help me and answer some questions:

> Is the West Fork of the Kickapoo a decent area to try this (night time fishing).  Obviously not looking for your honey holes - just a good place to start - I am willing to look at other rivers / counties
> Do you generally stick with mousing or streamers or both or other
> What length leader / lb test do you usually use

I appreciate any advice you could give

Thanks
AK 
..................................
 
My response:
 you need to recon an area before you mouse it.  night time can mean a trip to the emergency room if you don't know the terrain
The link is for the best hole I know for mousing.

actual google maps link to hole given in email.
as you are facing upstream it is important to stay on the far right side of the hole.  there is rock ledge submerged there...it going out about 8 feet from the bank in places...be careful to toe tap when going on the ledge.  There is a sheer drop off from 3 feet to 9 feet.  There is nice 90 degree corner there too.  This is monster town.  Mice work the best.  Approach hole carefully to not make a wake. Work ledge and other bank. Be patient.  Try not to slap water...backcast a little limited...don't need to cast a mile. 

whitlock mouse or a mini mouse with weed guard removed.

I want to see photos of trout caught here and full story for my blog.

Len

all three standing on ledge facing upstream
this hole from story:

http://www.garyengbergoutdoors.com/blog/index.php/2016/06/16/almost-as-good-as-catching-it-yourself-by-the-stream-in-times-len-harris-5-2-2016/
......................................................................
awaiting a return email in a couple weeks with results.

No comments:

Post a Comment