May 03, 2016

Guest Post Jeff Lawver

I've been reading your blog for a while now. I also checked out some of your trout fishing videos.




You seem to emphasize that fishing further down stream is the ticket for hooking up with bigger trout, particularly browns. For years I was kind of stuck in a rut, fishing the same old sections of the streams I routinely fished, and being disappointed with the numbers of larger trout, especially big browns .

Sure there were years where I had good luck, but that has been a long time ago now. I kept hoping that things would change, and the spots I usually fish would again produce big trout aside from brooder rainbows.  Not that I mind tying into a big 'bow now and then, but as you say browns are more challenging, even stocked ones.  I was fortunate enough to be able to retire a couple of years ago, and was bound and determined to expand  where I fished, particularly getting much further down stream on some of my favorites, as well as checking out new waters. Well I have to say the results have been very rewarding.  Last year I still had a tendency to fish the typical spots more than I should've ( it's hard to break out of ruts).  Even then when I did try a section further down, they often produced nice browns.




 This year was a real eye opener for me, as I went for it more often, venturing further down than ever before.  I must say I've had the best brown trout fishing I've had in a long time, if not ever.

 Like you, I prefer spinning gear.  Unlike you, my weapon of choice is jigs and plastics. My favorite plastic is a 1.5-2" tube with white(pearl) being my favorite color. I also use curly tail grubs, craws, hellgramites, and plastic worms. The latter can be great after rain events big enough to wash a lot of worms into the streams. I will say though, that I have started using spinners again since you seem to swear by them.

Needless to say, they've added some nice fish as well to my totals for this year. I mainly wrote to you to say thanks for giving me the impetus to explore new water. Although you're not the only one to make the claim that big browns move downstream to find more forage, and escape fishing pressure, your many photos of bruiser trout was the final nudge I needed.  I just wanted to let you know you a hand in making my trout fishing more in line with what I'm looking for, big fish.



Thanks again,
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment