February 11, 2015

Using Worms For Small Stream Trout

The WDNR doesn't allow live bait during early season.  I haven't used worms since I was a kid.  The trout world demonizes worms.  I hear mortality is high and they are made almost taboo.

 The above trout was caught under that log jam in the photo.  The worm was fished downstream actively. Meaning setting the hook on the first bite.  The trout was hooked on the top jaw and no where near the back.  The trout was released unharmed.

My buddy Ted fishes with worms sometimes.  He has zero problems with mortality.  He fishes worms actively.  He says the key is to set the hook immediately when there is a change in his float.  Yes Ted uses a bobber.  This is another demonized object in the trout catch and release world.

I am going to use worms and a bobber in 2015.  I have found the ones demonizing them in the c/r world are flawed in their hate for this method.  I have even heard the haters say worms are for the infirm and old or for little kids.


Scott Blumreich is a worm angler and does quite well with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment