October 04, 2014

Schweinebraten

 
Ingredients
  • Pork loin -- 4 to 6 pounds
  • Caraway seeds -- 2 tablespoons
  • Salt -- 1 tablespoon
  • Pepper -- 2 teaspoons
  • Oil -- 2 tablespoons
  • Onions, roughly chopped -- 3
  • Carrots, roughly chopped -- 3
  • Water, stock, white wine or beer -- 1 cup

The meal was ok but not the same as I had in Germany.

The meat had ok flavor but was too lean and not as flavorful as I remember.

It had to be the pork loin I was using.

I did some research and the proper cut of pork was not a loin but a boneless pork butt or shoulder. This cut has more fat and is more flavorful.
......................................................


I found this interesting recipe below.  I went on a European site and found the juniper berries.  One week from today I will add the new photos. 

Ingredients

  • 1/2 pound carrots, diced roughly
  • 3 small onions, diced
  • Salt -- 1 tablespoon
  • Pepper -- 2 teaspoons
  • 5-6 pound pork roast from the neck
  • Handful of Cloves
  • Handful of Juniper berries
  • 2 cups (500ml) vegetable stock
  • 1/2 dark Weissbier

No comments:

Post a Comment